This instructional has been created to provide step by step for replacing Godaddy.com’s email services with Google Apps. The purpose of replacing Godaddy.com’s email services with Google Apps is to provide calendaring, branded email service from your domain (email@example.com), and intranet service for your small businesses.
This document is summarized into a four step process.
Google Apps provides enterprise level IT services without the complexity associated with enterprise level IT services. Considerations for selecting Google Apps (ref: http://bit.ly/pc9v8y) include:
1. Google Apps runs in the cloud using nothing but the web, so there’s no hardware upgrades, software patches or maintenance required. In addition, a dedicated team of Google engineers is available whose sole goal is to help you get your data in and out of Google products for free.
2. Because you access all your information in a browser, users are always running the most up to date version of Google Apps. In addition to constant improvements, the Google Apps Marketplace offers apps built by third-party developers that integrate with Google Apps.
3. Google operates a network of distributed data centers in the world, and the protection of the data and intellectual property is a top priority. The controls, processes and policies that protect data in Google data centers have successfully completed a SAS 70 Type II audit and Google Apps is the first cloud-based messaging and collaboration suite to achieve FISMA (Federal Information Security Management Act) certification.
4. When using Google Docs, co-workers around the world can work together on the same online copy of each document, spreadsheet or presentation. Sharing securely with users inside and outside of the organization is easy.
5. When your business uses Google Apps, users can access their email, manage their calendar and work with documents from any web-enabled mobile device. Google Apps also offers device management capabilities that allow you to remotely wipe data, set password requirements and more for devices such as Android™, RIM ® Blackberry, Apple iPhone and Windows Mobile.
6. Not only does Google Apps make it easy to send and receive email from your mobile device, but Google Docs supports viewing and multi-user editing when you’re on the go.
7. Licensing Google Apps for your business is simple. There’s one price that covers all your employees’ communication and collaboration needs, and it’s easy to add more users as your business grows. Because Google builds the infrastructure and maintains the servers, you don’t have to worry about unexpected expenses in the future.
8. Google Apps brings you proven savings by eliminating many traditional IT costs, including server hardware, maintenance, patching and upgrades.
There are three options of Google Apps: Google Apps (Free), Google Apps for Business, and Google Apps for Education (ref: http://bit.ly/g64xAa). For the purposes of a small business owner, Google Apps for Business (ref: http://bit.ly/drQ6) has been selected.
Apps for Business provides business features such as 25G of storage for email and 10G of document storage; Blackberry, Android, iPhone and Outlook interoperability; and IT support (24×7) with a 99.9% uptime Service Level Guarantee.
Pricing for Google Apps for Business is $50 per year (ref: http://bit.ly/2Pb6cL).
This document assumes your company domain (yourcompany.com) has previously been completed, inclusive of logon credentials (username and password) to administer changes to the website.
Google Apps for Business Subscription (Step 2)
1. To subscribe to Google Apps for Business, follow this link http://bit.ly/t4DChz.
2. Enter domain name – (http://www.yourcompany.com) where yourcompany is the domain purchased through GoDaddy.com.
3. Click “Submit”.
4. Create administrative account credentials (Login and password)
a. This will be your new business email address (This email will be used for business cards)
i. Suggested naming conventions
1. first firstname.lastname@example.org
5. Enter Organization information
6. Read terms and conditions.
7. Click “I accept! Create my account>>”
A mail exchange (MX) record identifies a server that handles email messages for your domain. A domain has one or more MX records listed in priority order. GoDaddy.com’s default priority MX record is set to a GoDaddy.com mail server. When someone sends an email message to your domain, the sender’s mail server delivers it to the first available server in the priority list. You create new MX records, or change their priority, to Google Apps for Business in order to change email processing from GoDaddy.com to Google Apps (ref: http://bit.ly/rDBDIt).
You create MX records using the administration tools available from GoDaddy.com. This is an automated tool which replaces the manual process to change MX records.
8. To change email processing from GoDaddy.com’s email servers to Google Apps service, clink this link http://bit.ly/E8x8S.
9. Enter customer number or login and with password
a. These credentials will have been provided when your company domain (yourcompay.com) was first established.
10. Follow remaining instructions after logon to Godaddy.com
11. Your new MX records now point to Google. Keep in mind that changes to your DNS settings can take up to 24 hours to propagate through the Internet, but depending on your host, this can happen faster.
Setting up Email with email client and smartphone
12. Decide which mail client and version will be used with Google Apps and click corresponding link.
13. Follow step by step instructions.
14. Decide which mobile device will be used with Google Apps and click the corresponding link.
Google Apps Sync and Microsoft Outlook
Google Apps Sync for Microsoft Outlook® allows you to use Microsoft Outlook® 2003, 2007 and 2010 effectively with Google Apps. You get the cost savings, security and reliability of Google Apps, while employees can use the interface they prefer for email, contacts, calendar and notes.
Google Apps Sync for Microsoft Outlook® is a plug-in for Outlook 2003, 2007, or 2010 that lets you use Outlook to manage your Google Apps mail, calendar, and contacts—along with your Outlook notes, tasks, and journal entries. Google Apps Sync seamlessly syncs mail, calendar events, contacts, and notes between your Google profile in Outlook and your Google Apps account in the cloud, so you can access the same information at any time from either interface (ref: http://bit.ly/xeNFcW).
Note: When you install Google Apps Sync, you also have the option to migrate your mail, calendar, contacts, and other data from your old Outlook profile. However, if all you want to do is migrate data (that is, you don’t plan to keep working in Outlook afterwards), use Google Apps Migration for Microsoft Outlook®, instead.
15. Click link here http://bit.ly/dhAvT to download Google Apps Sync.
16. Click “Download Google Apps Sync”
17. Google Apps Sync with self install
18. Enter email credentials into login page.
19. Click Continue. Google Apps Sync and Outlook will now integrate each time Outlook is used.
By the conclusion of this document Google Apps for Business should now be subscribed to, enabling branded email, calendaring and document storage. Additionally, Google Apps for Business should now be the default primary email service for your company domain hosted at GoDaddy.com. This should now enable email@example.com email service as well as permitting calendaring events. Finally, an email client as well as a smartphone should also be configured to work with Google Apps for Business. Synchronization of calendar events, contacts, and email between Google Apps for Business and Microsoft Outlook should now be functional.